Friday, February 13, 2009

Cookies Chocolate and Love


With Valentines Day being tomorrow my kids love to help make our traditional Valentine sugar cookies. They love to help crack the eggs, measure and use the hand mixer. Frosting the cookies is a treat with sprinkles, hearts and red hots, but eating them they say is the best!

They wanted cookies last night and my sugar cookie recipes (I have a couple different ones I use) need to be refridgerated so I made Snickerdoodles. I was in a munchy mood and thought cookies would be good even though we'd be making more tomorrow. I thought it would be nice to have a couple different kinds and we could even take some to grandma and grandpa's as part of their Valentine treat. They were all eaten in an hour so much for that thought. My husband whose on a diet told me not to make them again because he will eat them. I laughed. I should be more supportive but I really wanted some cookies last night.
I added a little twist to the recipe by adding cinnamon chips. I thought because you roll them in sugar and cinnamon maybe the cinnamon chips would be good in them. I had a bag left over from making caramel apples in the fall so we tried it. They were very good I loved them. Just don't add to many chips unless you're a real cinnamon lover I only only added maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup of cinnamon chips to the batter. No chocolate with these but that's for tomorrow. What's Valentines Day without chocolate??


Here's the recipe:


Snickerdoodles


3 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons cream of tarter

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1 cup butter, softened

2 eggs

1/2 cup cinnamon chips (optional)


1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 teaspoons cinnamon


In a medium sized bowl sift together flour, cream of tarter, soda and salt.

In another bowl cream sugar and butter til light and fluffy. Add eggs. Slowly add flour mixture.

Shape into balls 1 1/2" dip in cinnamon and sugar mixture.


Bake 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Don't overbake.



2 comments:

  1. Came by from SITS! Snickerdoodles are one of my favorites, and I haven't had them in years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, delish! Perfect for a day like Valentine's!

    And, thanks for stopping by Crumbs, SITSa!

    ReplyDelete